DNA Day – Tuesday, May 29, 2018
Where: Douglas County Historical Society, 1219 Nokomis St., Alexandria, MN
Reserve your spot by calling 320-762-0382
Listen to Open Line on 1490 KXRA AM on Friday, May 25, 2018, from 9:05 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Taryn and Glenn will discuss different aspects of DNA testing and the upcoming DNA Day topics.
Thinking about a DNA test? Or have you already gotten your DNA results and wonder “What next?”
The Douglas County Historical Society Genealogy Guild is sponsoring DNA Day. Choose only ONE session that best fits your needs.
Cost: $10 for a session, FREE for members of the Douglas County Historical Society (annual membership $30)
Session One – Limit 25: 10:00 a.m. to 12 noon, for those people considering a DNA test. Class size limited to 25 participants.
- 4 types of test results (Autosomal, Mitochondrial, Y-DNA (male line), X chromosome
- How to determine which type of test, and which testing company is right for you? Ancestry DNA, 23 and Me, My Heritage, Family Tree DNA, etc.
- Discussion of privacy concerns
- Samples of DNA results so you know what to expect
Session Two – Limit 15: 1:00 p.m to 3:00 p.m. for those people that have taken a DNA test. Now what?
- Ethnicity estimates – how they vary from test to test, and unexpected results
- DNA Matches – how to sort and use your matches to solve family tree questions
- Relatedness – how to determine how closely you are related to your matches
Specific DNA Tests:
- Session Two participants can bring their laptop or device to access your results. Wifi available on-site.
- We can show you how to sort/use your information to assist your genealogy research
- Individual help for the type of test you have taken.
Reserve your spot by calling the DCHS at 320-762-0382.
Workshop presented by members of the Douglas County Historical Society Genealogy Guild