People who request research assistance often wish to know the location of the places where their ancestors lived in Douglas County. We have several wonderful resources to help us find that information. To see more of our Research Library Resources, click HERE.
- Family Maps of Douglas County, MN – Deluxe Edition, by Gregory A. Boyd, J. D., 2006, With Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads and More. Shows the earliest homesteaders’ names, locations and land descriptions.
- Grantor and Grantee indexes, 1867-1881
- Chattel mortgage records pre-1913
- Plat maps showing farm locations and owners beginning 1886, 1902, 1912, 1940, 1950, and more recent. Even the location of the farmhouse. (A glimpse of Ida Township below, in 1886.)
- Plat maps of 1886 showing country of origin for the farm owners.
- Transcription of land transactions from 1860 -1876 arranged by township.
- Land Transfer books, Douglas County, late 1800’s to 1960’s. These show the transfer of land from owner to owner, both farmland in rural townships, and platted land and lots around the lakes, in towns and villages. Land transfer dates and names of landowners are included.
- City Directories for Alexandria, showing addresses and who lived at each address. Earliest is for 1876, in Alexandria.
- Telephone books for the area, showing names and addresses of local residents, very early 1900’s to present day. (A sampling of some from the 1960’s, below.)