The Douglas County Historical Society is located at 1219 Nokomis Street in Alexandria, Minnesota. It is the former residence of Knute Nelson and on the National Register of Historic Places.
The house needs to be maintained to preserve its historical integrity, which includes outside finishes. Minnesota’s weather extremes take their toll on authentic/historic building materials.
In 2015, our cedar shake roof needs repair, which will cost about $5000. As a non-profit, those extra funds come from fundraising projects, community sponsors, and special gifts.
One of our fundraising events this winter is the Herbergers Community Day Event. We sell $5 coupon booklets in advance of the event, and receive 100% of the booklet sales towards our fundraiser. The first coupon in the booklet is for $10 off a regular or sale priced item in the store, so the savings to booklet purchasers are immediate.
The coupon booklets that will benefit the Douglas County Historical Society may be purchased:
1. At the Douglas County Historical Society, 1219 Nokomis St. Alexandria, MN 56308. Drop in during business hours.
2. At our Annual Bean Soup Luncheon on Feb. 17th, 2015, 11:30 to 1:30 pm, at Nelson Gables, 1220 Nokomis St. (Across the street from the Historical Society)
3. Online using this link: http://bit.ly/1CyHOBf
The website lists these savings:
- $10 off a regular or sale price item of $10 or more. Valid in-store only.
- Up to 30% off a single regular or sale price item. Valid in-store until 2PM only.
- Up to 25% off a regular and sale price purchase.
- Up to 30% off an online purchase of regular and sale price merchandise. Valid online only.
- 30% off select shapewear.
- $25 off all Easy Spirit® and Naturalizer® shoes.
The coupons are then valid at Herbergers during their Community Day Event, on Friday, February 27, and Saturday, February 28, 2015.
Thank you for supporting the Douglas County Historical Society.
In 2014, the home’s wood siding and trim was painted. The results were excellent.